Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hagar: God Heard Her Heartache

Scripture for this week: Genesis 16:1-16; 21:1-21

My thoughts: Hagar is a slave of Abraham and Sarah. She is a maidservant, which means she must have been helpful and trustworthy to earn this important position. Hagar probably was added to their household during their stop in Egypt. How she must have missed her family! Especially when she suffered through the consequences of an unmanageable situation while in Abraham’s household.

As I read Hagar’s story I become aware that God continuously has His eyes on Hagar. He watches over her and protects her. She has never asked Him into her life. She probably knows little about God. Yet God is there with her talking to her.

Hagar became prideful and paid a high price for her mistake. She chose to leave the unbearable situation. When Hagar ran away from Sarah because of her mistreatment, an angel of the Lord told her to go back and surrender to Sarah. Hagar obeyed. Can you imagine how she had to humble herself and work up lots of courage to turn back toward Abraham’s camp? She knew it was not going to be easy to face Sarah! It was God being available to Hagar that helped her do what He told her to do.

I can imagine Hagar’s fear and her desperation when Abraham sent her and Ishmael away into the desert of Beersheba. When their water was gone, she just sat down and sobbed. God heard her cry and spoke to her telling her not to be afraid. God saw her heartache. He was with her and He provided for her and her son.

I know that God has his eyes on me, watching and protecting me while I’m going about my day. When I was teaching, I was cornered by a young man twice my size, who had hidden in a classroom closet. I remember God sent a man twice his size to rescue me. While driving I stopped in time to allow someone in an opposing lane to come through on a red light. I know God held my car and prevented a tragedy. I have experienced God’s protection many times! He is with me!

If you have fears of the future because of a job loss, loneliness or addictions, God’s promises, His love and His protection are yours! Ask for God’s presence in your life. Get to know Him more each day through prayer and the reading of His Word. Be thankful and keep focused on Him. He hears your heart cry out when you are weak and beaten down. He knows all you are going through. He is available 24/7!

Scripture for today: I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8 (NIV)

No comments: