Friday, September 25, 2009

Hagar and Sarah - God's Plan

Scripture for this week: Genesis 16:1-16; 21:1-21

My Comments: Hagar was a woman of courage and endurance. She persevered through abuse and a tragic life. God did not abandon her. When Hagar felt death was inevitable for her and her son, God was by their side.

I might create a different ending to the story. It would be an ending where all the bickering would be resolved. What would it look like if, in the end, Sarah and Hagar were forgiving, patient and learning to live together?

I wanted God to fix the mess created by Sarah and Hagar. But God didn’t fix things the way I expected. Much is learned about God here. As the story unfolds, God shows His love for each member of Abraham’s family. God is seen providing care, protection and blessings for each according to their need and according to His plan.

God has a plan for my life and He shows the same love to me. I can think of many times He has taken care of my needs. There was the long awaited phone call to reassure me my daughter had arrived safely home amid a terrible storm. There was the report that my husband would recover from a major stroke. I am still learning not to run off ahead of Him or shut Him out of what’s going on in my life. I know He wants me to turn to Him so He can love me, protect me, and bless me in good times and in bad times. What more could I ask for, what more could I possibly need? God is faithful…all the time!

Scripture for today: For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

Scripture of this week.

Monday - Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14 (NIV)

Tuesday - I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8 (NIV)

Wednesday - Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. James 4:7-10 (NIV)

Thursday - May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us. Psalm 97:1 (NIV)

FridayFor I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

No comments: