Monday, September 21, 2009

Hagar - Considering Sarah

Scripture for this week: Genesis 16:1-16; 21:1-21

My Thoughts: I have been thinking on Hagar. However, my mind is distracted by Sarah’s actions.
So today let’s consider Sarah.

God told Sarah that, although she was beyond childbearing, she would have a son. Sarah takes matters in her own hands. She made a human choice to forge ahead with a proposition to Hagar that was common for childless women in that time. Sarah was impatient and didn’t trust God to do what He said He would do for her. She didn’t ask for God’s blessing on her plan. She couldn’t wait for God’s timing. The time was right now for Sarah.

Abraham just as quickly agreed to Sarah’s plan. Reading the rest of the story, are we surprised to see what disastrous results came from their running ahead of God and doing their own thing?”

I found myself wondering: Could any of the animosity between Sarah and Hagar been resolved or laid aside? It seems ill feelings just bubbled and bubbled until they boiled over and neither one attempted to turn the burner off. It was about Sarah’s lack of faith, her reliance on her own ability and the pride of both women leading to disaster.

We have all waited on God’s timing for something. In some areas of my life I still try to be patient and wait on His timing. I know all the comments about God’s plan always being better, His timing being the RIGHT timing, and His knowing what is best for me. I do believe and have experienced those comments to be true. However, it doesn’t stop me from wanting to know NOW what to do, not to do or say. I get excited to know what insight I will receive from God. I NEED to know the end result! But I know that God’s plan is the best plan…so I wait.

Oh, yes, through the years I have experienced chaos, sadness, and stress as a result of rushing ahead of God just like Sarah. I continue to struggle to keep one great lesson in mind: Never get ahead of God!

Sarah shows us well what happens when one is tempted to get in the way of God and take matters into their own hands. God loved Sarah and allowed His promises to be fulfilled in spite of her actions.

The good news is that He will accomplish His promises through us, as well, in spite of our actions. We can be thankful for God who loves us and can and turn our bad into good.

Scripture Thought for Today: Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. (Psalm 27:14)

No comments: