Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Anna, A Witness

This Week’s Scripture: Luke 2:21-40 NIV

My Comments: Anna, no doubt, knew all the Old Testament writings regarding the coming of the promised Messiah. Can you imagine? For most of Anna’s 84 years on earth she waited to see the Lord. It was her heart’s supreme desire. She persevered in worship, fasting, and prayer night and day, year after year. She believed and trusted that God would do what He said He would do.

Then, one day, the Messiah was right in front of Anna. Even though He was a tiny baby, she recognized Him. The time of waiting was over. What joy must have overcome her heart! Did Anna dare touch Him or hold Him in her arms? Did she speak to Mary and Joseph? We are left only with her, “coming up to them at that very moment”.

I look forward to the joyful celebrations remembering the birth of Jesus every year at Christmas. I can’t imagine waiting almost 84 years to celebrate the arrival of the Good News!

Anna gave thanks and witnessed to everyone who was looking for the Savior who would redeem Jerusalem. She couldn’t possibly keep this news to herself. I wonder what she said and if the people believed her? I have no doubt that some people thought Anna was a crazy old lady. However I think of those who did recognize the truths she spoke and were speechless over what she was saying. What an unbelievable day realizing that the Savior was alive on earth!

Anna waited a long time to come face to face with Jesus. Because of her lifetime of worship, Anna recognized that God’s Promise had arrived as an infant being presented at the temple. Oh, that I could be assured of such a relationship with our Lord! Would I recognize Him? Will I recognize Him when He returns? This is my hope and prayer.

It sometimes takes a long time for someone to see and accept Christ in their life. I remember my grandmother and my mother sharing stories with each other. They didn’t believe in coincidences. It was always referred to as God’s work. They recited favorite verses and sang hymns as they worked around the house. They taught me a lot about the Lord’s presence, prayer, and worship by the way they lived their lives. Do you recognize the Lord’s presence in your life? Do you share God’s love with someone by the way you live? You may not be an Anna but your story can make a difference in someone’s life.

Anna’s entry into Scripture is small and has been retold for 2000 years. I have learned a lot from her story for living my life today regarding prayer and worship, perseverance and trust in the Lord.

Today’s Scripture Thought: Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem. (Luke 2:38 NIV)

No comments: