Friday, September 18, 2009

Anna, Prayer Continued

This Week’s Scripture: Luke 2:21-40 NIV

My Comments: I had thought I’d be writing something on God’s promises today but as I sit here my thoughts are drawn toward prayer.

Prayer was so important to Anna. I can imagine she poured her heart out to God. She listened and waited for His response. She worshiped Him continually. She was thankful and filled with joy and peace knowing she could trust God for her every need. She also knew what He had promised, He would deliver. She knew that through her experiences living life fully committed to Him.

When prayer becomes a part of a gathering, I have noticed people who are not used to praying with other people. You can see their discomfort with a sinking of their body. Some look for the nearest door and hesitantly give some reason for needing to suddenly leave. Others weakly begin to apologize for not knowing how to “pray right”. They have a panicked feeling that something will happen to them if they don’t “pray right.”

I feel for them as I was one of them. I still feel uncomfortable in certain prayer situations. I’m not really sure why it happens. I just feel intimidated. I lose focus and struggle with what to say and end up chopping my thoughts. Through the years I have learned that pausing and remembering who I am talking to helps me through. I shut everything else out. When I focus on Him letting the thoughts of my heart flow I open up to hearing the prayers of others. God is helping me work on this.

For me, personal prayer is very comforting. I know God isn’t looking for the right words or an order to my prayer. I know He just wants to hear what is on my heart and mind. He wants me to listen and I want to hear what He wants me to know. I look forward to our talks especially when days are not running smoothly. Talking with Him is very freeing. Our relationship grows with each quiet time we share.

Anna prayed to see Christ! God heard; God answered. Remember she waited 84 years! When we pray, we may not get what we request. God may answer with what we ask for, or He may give us something else that is better for us. He might not seem to answer. It may not be the right time for an answer. But God will always answer…in His time and what is best for us.

As we talk with God, He will draw us deeper into a relationship with Him. He will let us know that He hears us, that He will take care of us, love us, guide us, and give us peace and comfort. He wants us to come to Him, and want to spend time with Him. He is pleased when we turn to Him, so He can bless us with His loving promises.

If our prayers are awkward or pitiful we can be assured that He doesn’t mind. He is glad we are there with Him. He wants to listen to our hearts.

Today's Scripture Thought: Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4


Summary of Scripture Thoughts for this week:

Monday: He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. (Psalm 147:3 NIV)

Tuesday: Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem. (Luke 2:38 NIV)

Wednesday: Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. (John 4:23)

Thursday: Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. (Romans 12:11)

Friday: Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)

No comments: