Monday, October 5, 2009

The Joy and Peace of God's Presence

Thoughts for Today: I listened intently to a 60 year old man telling his story about losing his job. He had recently gotten another job after about a year of interviews. The difficulty was selling his current house. His new job was in another state and that meant purchasing another home. With the depressed real estate market, both he and his wife knew it wasn’t going to be easy. After putting their house on the market, they soon realized that they could sell it, but for a price of $150,000 under what they still owed on their home.

He and his wife shared many of their thoughts as they moved toward a decision. They decided to sell their home at a loss and use retirement funds to pay the difference. In the process, they discovered that they had enough left in their retirement funds to use on the down payment for their new home. They also had money left in their retirement account.

At the end of the interview we see the husband and wife embracing on their deck. They were reassuring each with a quiet, “everything is going to be okay”.

It had to be a difficult year for the couple, but in the end the husband did get another job. They faced the difficult decision of selling their home for less than what they owed, but they had funds to make up the difference with enough left for a down payment on their new home. And they had money beyond that! The couple had what they needed. Seeing one’s lifetime planning and work towards retirement disappear is certainly devastating. They obviously had each other and they were able to do what they needed to do. Certainly they wanted more. Most of us would have wanted more security and reassurance.

As the couple’s story unfolded, it became clear to me that God was creating some good things within the couple’s struggle. I’ve also noticed that whenever bad happens in my life, God reveals some good things to go with it. I have learned to hold on to the good things in my life to get through the bad times. The good amid the bad is not always easy to see. Sometimes it takes me a while to clear the fog so I can look, but I know God is by my side. He’s always with me to help me through each day, good or bad.

I have no idea if the couple I listened to were believers. Were they aware of God’s presence as He protected and cared for them? I wondered if they knew that they were experiencing His reassuring peace as they said, “everything is going to be okay.” I pray that the couple is aware of God’s presence and are thankful for the joy and peace which came from receiving God’s blessings!

Scripture for Today: The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. Psalm 29:11

No comments: