Friday, September 23, 2011

Lydia, a Woman of Influence for God

LYDIA – PART FIVE

This week’s Scripture: Acts 16: 6-40 (read on Biblegateway)

What I heard Lydia whisper in my ear over and over this week was, “be still.” Lydia had a lot of things going on and carried a lot of responsibilities but she always took time to NOT be busy so she could meet God in prayer.

There are times when my life gets weighed down with things to do, expectations and responsibilities. Those are days I need the strength and calm that comes from time alone with God. However, time with Him on occasion gets pushed to later in the day when the chaos has passed. How different the days are when I start off in God’s power. Time in prayer sets my attitude for the day. God reminds me I don't have to run through the day hopelessly focused on things! He helps me prioritize. I choose how my day is going to be with Him by my side; remembering His love and peace.

The story of Lydia is a remarkable one. What a significant part Lydia played – one woman in the right place at the right time with the right heart and right attitude for God to use her. Because of her qualities and who she became she grew to be a woman of influence for God.

What did Lydia whisper in your ear this week? What can and will you allow God to do through you? Take time out of your busy day, everyday, to open your heart, listen, and be obedient to His vision.

Scripture for today: …be still and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10 NIV).


Think on this week’s verses. Memorize your favorite.

Monday - But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. (Luke 8:15 NIV)

Tuesday – That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. (Romans 10:9-10 NIV)

Wednesday – Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV)

Thursday - Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.  (Colossians 3:1-3)

Friday – “…be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10 NIV).


NOTE: I encourage you to read Philippians. The book of Philippians is about the first church of Europe. Who could have known what Lydia’s generosity would bring about! Paul was sitting in jail in Rome writing them a note praising them for their support (Philippians 1; 4:10-23)

1 comment:

Judy Webb said...

What a great week of Scripture presentation and of glimpsing two women's hearts (yours and Lydia's). Had I been reading everyday this week perhaps I would not have been so low as I was yesterday.

There is something about this time of year, or the fact it is hunting season, or just because I am homesick, but yesterday was the worst day I had yet. It was filled with more grief then I thought I could bear; more tears than I dreamed I could cry.

But today is a new day and hopefully a new outlook and attitude. Blessings on your writing and the inspiration you fill each reader with.

Grace 'n Grins,
Judy