Saturday, September 17, 2011

God is With Me

It happened in just seconds. Looking out the window of the plane as we were landing, I noticed another plane taking off on the same runway almost below us.

I grabbed my husband’s arm. I managed to say, “We’re not going to…”

My response was cut short by the sharp upward turning of our plane. My ears closed as I felt the pressure inside the cabin increase. The eerie crackle of the plane under the stress of being forced up mimicked my own response to being lifted unexpectedly. I felt my hands grasp the arms of my seat.

As the plane shook, luggage shifted and alarms rang, my attention was drawn to a puff of air on my cheek. It was refreshing and comforting in spite of what was happening.

In my head I heard a familiar soft firm voice speak, “It is okay. I am here.”

After what seemed to be forever, the plane leveled off, made a wide circle back to the airport and landed. I noticed how calm, kind, and patient people were as they left their seats to depart from the plane. All was okay. Peace had replaced fear.

The experience confirmed that God was with me. He protected me, cared for me, and gave me His peace.

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
Psalm 139:9-10 (NIV)

No comments: