Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Take Time to Rest

I don’t need an alarm clock. I always awaken to the bell on my cat’s collar as she dashes up the steps and gently pushes open the bedroom door. The squeak of the door announces “Ruthie time”. She jumps gently onto the bed. I can feel the give of the covers as she marches up slowly to sit near my face. She stares at me wanting me to acknowledge her presence.

I tease her by lying still with my eyes closed. Ruthie increases the intensity of her purr and places a paw on my nose.

I open the covers, hoping she wants to cat nap a few more minutes. Ruthie responds by nuzzling my arm and padding in a circle. She flops down in anticipation of her morning ear rub. I can’t resist her sweet impatience. I rub her ears, under her chin, and all the way down her back ending with a quick slide off her tail. Her jet black fur feels silky and warm as she cuddles against me. She brings smiles to my heart as I lay back and relax during our morning routine. I enjoy this quiet time of peace and comfort before my hectic day.

***
Ruthie came into our family [that’s another story] three years ago. She has stolen my heart and adjusted my perspective on life. She has shown me how to take time to just relax and enjoy the day.

"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest"— Proverbs 6:10

No comments: